I've been doing a lot of casual cooking at home lately, and thought it would be fun to share some of the improvised recipes I came up with. This one is pretty simple, and quite delicious. It involves frying chickpeas with different spices, and coating with sauce. Here we go.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups pre-cooked chickpeas (empty liquid if canned)
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 minced or chopped clove)
- 3/4 cup salsa verde (Herdez is great)
- Black pepper
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 pinches of salt in a saucepan.
- Heat olive oil over high heat, until it starts popping.
- Pour in chickpeas, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic, and cayenne. Stir thoroughly together with olive oil.
- Grind black pepper onto the chickpeas
- Continually stir chickpeas for about 10 minutes, or until significantly browned.
- Turn the heat to low, throw in the salsa verde, and stir.
- Serve in a bowl. Add salt to taste.
This recipe is simple, but quite delicious! It takes advantage of the texture of chickpeas, and the spices should really kick up the flavor. You might also try squeezing some fresh lemon juice in after the fact for some acid. Enjoy!